- Getting Around
What is Travel Training?
Travel Training is a free service of Pierce Transit that provides self-paced instruction for passengers, who can use regular bus service, become familiar with public transportation options.
Who is Eligible?
- Individuals can use Travel Training when their trips originate or end in Pierce County.
- Individuals with disabilities, Seniors and Individuals using mobility devices.
- Individuals that are blind or have low vision and have had orientation and mobility training.
What are the Benefits?
- Training is self-paced
- Trainees gain confidence from learning to travel independently.
- Participant's increased independence, community involvement, access to employment training, and participation in recreational events; which improves their overall quality of life.
- Travel Training increases the participants' comfort level with using regular bus service.
- Travel Training provides independence and flexibility to travel whenever and wherever without a reservation.
What does Travel Training teach?Travel Trainers customize training for each person needs and help participants learn to:
- Plan their trips
- Use bus route maps and schedules
- Where and how to purchase tickets, passes and reduced fare cards.
- Travel to and from the bus stops safely
- Identify landmarks for the correct bus stop
- Use aids such as personal trip cards and stop request cards
- Locating and connecting to other buses
- Enjoying more independence
- Maneuvering mobility devices on and off the buses if needed
- Emergency procedures and communicating your needs to the driver
What types of Travel Training is offered?Travel Training instruction is customized to meet the needs of each passenger. The training is coordinated with the passenger’s daily activities. The goal is to ensure the passengers have the skills and confidence to use the regular bus service.
NOTICE! For more information about this program, or to sign up for free travel training, CLICK HERE
Training takes place in the public environment using resources as they exist in the community, traveling to specific destinations for passengers who need individualized attention. The passenger will be walking to and from the bus stops, crossing intersections and riding regular bus service. Travel trainers design customized tools such as memory aides, visual trip plans, photo flip books and stop request cards to create a customized program for each trainee.
Classroom and Small Group Training
These presentations are available for transition programs, senior living communities, public organizations, and other community programs.
This training provides general transit information and familiarization. Classroom sessions focus on riding smart and safe on the regular buses using a power point presentation and role playing. Travel trainers also facilitate trips to community locations for experience in the community.
Working with a travel trainer will help you feel more comfortable and confident riding on Pierce Transit.
COVID-19 Updates for Travel Training
Traveling Training is following agency guidelines, the recommended precautions from the CDC and the State of Washington.
- All passengers, over the age of 2years old, unless there is a medical condition preventing the use, are required to wear a mask or face covering when boarding and riding Pierce Transit buses.
- Please use Social Distancing when waiting and riding the buses.
- Virtual interviews, meetings and form will be used when possible.
- Social distancing will be observed with in person meetings and training.
- Travel Training at this time is providing essential trip training until COVID-19 restrictions change.
CLICK HERE to view the Travel Training Brochure.
NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES
This notice describes how medical and ADA eligibility information about you may be used and disclosed and how you may gain access to this information.
Privacy and Release of Information
Pierce Transit respects your privacy. We understand that your personal health and eligibility information is very sensitive.
We will not disclose your information to others unless: you formally release that information in writing; in our interpretation, the law authorizes or requires us to do so; other reasons require or justify disclosure as set forth herein.
Pierce Transit’s Use of ADA Eligibility Information
The information contained in your file includes your application(s) and any health information provided to determine your eligibility. It may also include any letters received on your behalf, documented conversations, trip plans, and other information pertinent to your ADA eligibility and service provision.
Pierce Transit uses your individual information in the eligibility decision-making process, appeals, functional assessments, determination of service provision, and for your travel training.
Disclosure of ADA Eligibility Information to You or to Others with a Release of Information
We will also provide this information to you as well as to anyone you ask us to release it to through a formal written Release of Information request which may be obtained by contacting the Eligibility department at 253.581.8000.
You have the right to review and to a copy of your file. This review may occur in person, with 7 days’ advance notice to the Eligibility department or a copy of your file may be mailed to you upon request in writing to the address provided below. Valid identification will be required for in-person review. We will charge you a reasonable cost-based fee for any associated expenses such as copies and postage. We will not disclose specific information to you or anyone else over the phone.
In your Release of Information, you may ask us to restrict certain uses and disclosure of your information to others. The request must be presented in writing. You may also revoke any previous consent to disclose information by submitting a written request. The revocation will apply only to future disclosure requests.
Additional Bases for Disclosure
In addition to the above provisions, we may use and disclose your information without your authorization as follows:
- Required by law. When disclosure of information, in whole or in part, is permitted when required by law, whether federal, tribal, state, or local, or pursuant to court order or subpoena. Please be aware that Pierce Transit is subject to and complies with the Washington State Public Records Act, which may require disclosure of certain information that is not otherwise subject to redaction or exemption.
- Public health and safety. Information may be disclosed to public health authorities and their authorized agents for public health purposes.
- Abuse, neglect, or domestic violence. Information may be disclosed to report abuse, neglect, or domestic violence under specific circumstances.
- Judicial and administrative proceedings. Information may be disclosed in the course of judicial or administrative proceedings, including appeals and functional assessments.
- Workers’ compensation. Disclosure of work-related health information as authorized by, and to the extent necessary to comply with, workers' compensation programs.
- Payment and transportation coordination. We may use and disclose your health information to obtain reimbursement for expenses or to coordinate transportation with other providers.
Written requests must be submitted to:
3701 96th St SW Lakewood WA 98499-4431
If you believe your privacy rights as described have been violated, you may discuss your concerns with the Pierce Transit General Counsel at 253.581.8000.
We reserve the right to change our privacy practices and the terms of this Notice at any time, provided such changes are permitted by applicable law.
HOW CAN I CONTACT PIERCE TRANSIT ADA ELIGIBILITY AND TRAVEL TRAINING STAFF:
Pierce Transit SHUTTLE Eligibility: 253.581.8000, Option 1, 2, 3 and 4 or 253.984.8216
Pierce Transit SHUTTLE Reservation: 253.581.800, Options 1,2, 1
Pierce Transit Travel Training: 253.589.6361
Fax – 253-984.8154 or 253.984.8227
Mailing Address: Pierce Transit, 3701 96th St SW, Lakewood, WA 98496Email:firstname.lastname@example.org Pierce Transit Main Phone Number: 253.581.8000