DESTINATION 2040 UPDATE
In 2016 Pierce Transit adopted a Long Range Plan (LRP) for Horizon Year 2040 – titled Destination 2040 - as a comprehensive guiding documentation of the agency’s vision and blueprint for providing dependable, safe, efficient, and fully integrated public transport services throughout the South Sound region of today, tomorrow, and beyond.
How can Pierce Transit better get you where you’re going?
Pierce County is rapidly growing so Pierce Transit is keeping pace by updating its Destination 2040 Long Range Plan (LRP). We need your help prioritizing the future for transit service changes and additions.
What would you choose?
- New routes
- Different schedules
- More frequent service
- Improved and direct access to certain parts of the service area or county.
The LRP Update offers a vision shaped by fiscal and economic realities and is more closely aligned with service hour growth scenarios than the Destination 2040 Long Range Plan, adopted in April 2016.
The LRP Update will cover:
- Essential changes since 2016
- The Fixed route network restructured and launched in March 2017.
- Pierce Transit's Inaugural Pacific Avenue/SR 7 corridor Bus Rapid Transit project, coming in 2023.
- The Regional system expansion under Sound Transit 3 and its implications for Pierce Transit.
- Driverless vehicles and other rapidly emerging technologies that are shaping the future of mobility.
- Transit-supportive density and mixed-use infill areas designated within the City of Tacoma and in Pierce County’s centers and corridors.
- A coordinated transit system that fully integrates Pierce Transit with Sound Transit, King County Metro, Intercity Transit, and other public transportation providers.
- Service expansion benefits to personal mobility, environmental responsibility and stewardship, the economy, public health, and quality of life.
- Three new scenarios for improving and expanding the bus system at various funding levels. Evaluating current conditions against what assets would be needed to grow the system, such as new vehicles, expanded facilities, and the additional workforce to operate and maintain it in the future.
How can we make the system work even better for you?
- Pierce Transit will reevaluate local and express bus routes, including new Bus Rapid Transit lines.
- With your help, we hope to identify potential new or expanded routes too.
- Which existing routes should be improved?
- Are you most interested in shorter waits between buses, longer spans of service, or increased weekend trips?
- We know that a safe and simple pathway to our buses is essential.
- How could it be made easier to walk, bike, roll, or use a mobility aid to get you to the bus?
- From your perspective, what areas are currently underserved?
- Are there any key destinations to where you would ride Pierce Transit if you could?
- Pierce county's population is the second highest in the state, and Pierce Transit wants to most effectively plan for it.
- What areas could use more bus service now or in the future?