Drive and Thrive
Thrive in a rewarding career with competitive wages,
benefits, paid training and growth opportunities.
Begin your career as a Transit Operator today!
Click HERE to Apply
Check out this episode of Pierce Transit's podcast to get a behind-the-scenes look at becoming an Operator. Listen on Spotify to learn more about the in-depth training program offered, the skills successful candidates need and some of the hidden benefits that come with driving a bus for Pierce Transit.
As a Relief Transit Operator, you will be a member of a very important team that is relied on to drive routes in the absence of the regular full-time operators. The work of the RTO ensures that the operation continues to run smoothly while the regular drivers are attending training, on temporary assignments, taking vacation or other leave, or away for other reasons.
To be eligible you must:+
- Must be at least 21 years of age at the time of hire.
- Must have been licensed for a minimum of five (5) years to be considered.
- Five (5) years of continuous, recent driving history is required (i.e.. no gaps in license status)
- Must have an excellent driving record within the previous five years. Please see "Supplemental Information" for additional detail on the driving record review.
- Applicants may apply with an out-of-state license, but must possess a valid Washington State Driver's License at the time of hire.
- Must be able to obtain a Commercial License Permit by the first day of training.
- Please note: In order to obtain a Commercial License Permit in Washington State, you must be able to provide your current license, Social Security number and proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency.
Working conditions and requirements:+
Transit operators must be able to meet the Federal Physical Qualifications for Commercial Drivers License (CDL) holders as found in the Code of Federal Regulations at 49 CFR 391.41. Medical waivers will be accepted only for insulin-dependent diabetes.
The job also includes:+
- Sitting for extended periods of time
- Lifting or pulling up to 40 pounds
- Performing repetitive body movements to operate controls
- Working independently with a minimum of breaks
- Operating a transit vehicle in heavy traffic and (rarely) in emergency or hazardous situations or conditions
Hours of Work:+
- If selected from this recruitment, you must be available to attend full-time training for a period of six (6) weeks to become a Relief Transit Operator.
- Relief Transit Operators are a critical role at Pierce Transit and the individuals selected must be available seven days a week.
- Schedules can change with little, or no, notice and will vary from day to day.
- Pierce Transit's operating hours begin at 1:50 a.m. and continue until 1:29 a.m.
- Relief Operators are expected to drive any shift and any route including nights, holidays, weekends, mornings, split shifts, and days off, if necessary.
Amalgamated Transit Union, Local 587 represents the Relief Transit Operator positions
Successful candidates will be invited to a hiring event for the Relief Transit Operator position which includes an overview of the position and two sets of interviews. Successful candidates from the hiring event will be issued conditional offers of employment. At that time, more details about the following requirements will be provided:
- Physical and drug screen
- CDL Learner’s Permit with Air Brake and Passenger endorsements
- Criminal conviction record evaluation
- Current five-year complete driving record abstract
- Employment reference checks
All newly hired drivers must complete Pierce Transit’s training program, which includes classroom and coach practice instruction. Pierce Transit does not require new hires to already have a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) or prior transit driving experience (only the CDL Permit Class B with Passenger endorsement is required for new hires. Pierce Transit completes CDL training on-site through third party testers. Attendance is required at every class; no make-up classes are allowed.
Pierce Transit is now hiring! No CDL required!
Do you enjoy working with people? Are you ready to make a difference in the lives of those in your community? Set your career in motion today at Pierce Transit!
No CDL? No problem! Pierce Transit will pay YOU to get your Class B CDL on-site with some of the best driving instructors in the industry!
- As a trainee, base pay is $22.69 per hour
- Upon successful completion of our 10-week training program, pay increases to $23.32!
- But wait, there’s more! Upon completion of your probationary period (6 months or 1040 hours), pay increases AGAIN to $24.14!
- When a dedicated bid spot becomes available, pay increases to $25.03!
The top of our Transit Operator pay range is currently $31.76 per hour, which equates to a base annual salary of $66,060, plus a competitive benefits package that includes:
- Paid Leave (11 paid holidays, 2 personal paid holidays, up to 12 days of accrued sick leave, and up to 12 accrued vacation days per year)
- Excellent Insurance options for you and your family (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Defined benefit retirement plan through the Washington State Public Employee’s Retirement System (PERS)
- Deferred Compensation in a 457 savings plan with a 4.25% match
- Tuition Assistance
- Professional Development and Career Growth Programs such as Job Shadowing and Career Planning
- Employee Wellness Program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program for those eligible
- ORCA Card for self and family member
- Cutting edge training utilizing virtual reality
- 24/7 On-Site Gym, Driver Lounge, and Relaxation Room
- Innovative services such as our Runners, Trolley, and BRT services, connecting our community with the transportation reliability they need
Additionally, there is often overtime work available. In 2020 the top Transit Operator earner made over $130,000. Pierce Transit Operators have been thriving and driving in Pierce County for over 40 years and we would love for you to drive us through the next 40! Operators also have room to grow with opportunities to become supervisors, instructors, dispatchers and managers, and many more!
Applicants are encouraged to review Pierce Transit's background check policy and the driving abstract section to ensure they have an acceptable driving record prior to applying. The background check policy can be found here.
Accepting a position on the Pierce Transit team is the ticket to a rewarding career. The total employment package includes a competitive salary as well as a wide array of benefits.
As an employee, you and your family can choose to be covered by one of several excellent medical and vision plans as well as dental, life insurance and long-term disability insurance plans are also available.
Pierce Transit is committed to supporting the professional growth of our staff and provides a generous reimbursement for employment related tuition.
As a public sector employee, you are included in the Washington State Public Employees Retirement System. Employees are eligible to participate in a Deferred Compensation (457) plan for tax-deferred retirement investment.
Relief Transit Operator (RTO) Recruitment process steps to hire:
The RTO hiring process normally takes 6 to 8 weeks and candidates are encouraged to get their CDL Class B Permit with Passenger Endorsement as soon as possible after attending the RTO hiring event.
- Apply to Transit Operator Job Posting
- Interview with Operations and Human Resource Staff
- Conditional Offer
- Criminal History Check/Driving History Review
- Reference Check/Employment Verification
- DOT Physical, Functional Assessment, and Drug Screening
- Obtain Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) with Passenger Endorsement
- Final Offer
- Order Uniforms
- First Day with Pierce Transit!
Build your future in fleet maintenance
Thrive in a rewarding career with competitive wages, benefits, paid training and growth opportunities.
Click HERE to Apply
A Great Place To Work! We have a strong commitment to the community we serve and our employees. Our mission is to connect our communities with safe, reliable, customer-friendly transit options.
Our Maintenance division maintains hundreds of vehicles, including buses, vans and trucks.Excellent Benefits Pierce Transit’s total employment package includes competitive wages as well as excellent benefits. Employees of Pierce Transit are not required to contribute to Social Security. You and your family can choose to be covered by one of our medical and dental plans. Benefits also include life insurance, employee assistance and long-term disability plans.
Many of the maintenance jobs also have safety incentives, tool allowances and certification pay available!
Come join the team in one of these exciting career opportunities!
Journey Level Mechanics diagnose, repair and rebuild our CNG, diesel, and electric buses as needed, ensuring our top of the line fleet is running smoothly. They may also work on gasoline-powered vehicles and equipment.
Preventative Maintenance Service Technicians perform routine service, inspection and minor repair to agency vehicles and equipment.
Apprentice Diesel Mechanics are a part of a State-approved apprenticeship program to become Journey Level Mechanics. This is an 8,000-hour program resulting in journey certification.
Body Repair Technicians perform skilled work repairing and refinishing our fleet including welding, painting and replacing parts.
Upholsterers repair and replace seats and upholstery in agency vehicles. They also operate table and or band saws and sewing machines.
Communications Technicians install, test and repair mobile and fixed-station equipment including control consoles, radio units, cabling and antennas.
Bus Lot Attendants coordinate the movements of the buses on the large bus lot where all the buses are stored, including directing fueling, washing and inventory.
Service Station Attendants work to ensure that the fleet gets fueled and cleaned overnight so that they are ready to roll early In the morning.
Fleet Care Attendants provide routine cleaning and sanitation services to agency buses, vans and vehicles to ensure our drivers and passengers have a clean enjoyable ride.