News & Announcements
OPTIONAL PERMIT PARKING AT TACOMA DOME STATION
A public hearing will be held as part of the Board of Commissioners’ meeting on Monday, March 11, 2019. The meeting begins at 4:00 pm and is held in the Pierce Transit Training Center - Rainier Conference Room, 3720 96th Street SW, Lakewood, Washington 98499.
Pierce Transit is considering optional permit parking at the Tacoma Dome Station (TDS) as this facility fills up very early on weekdays. Regular transit riders often have a difficult time finding a parking space unless they arrive well in advance of their planned transit trip. The proposed program would offer a reserved parking option that would give regular transit riders a reliable place to park and improve transit operations by more evenly spreading out demand for parking spaces throughout the morning rush hour.
The purpose of the Public Hearing is to allow public comment on the proposal. Highlights of the proposed optional permit parking plan include:
- Permits would be optional.
- There would be 200 reserved parking spots (150 single-occupancy and 50 high-occupancy), which totals 8.4 percent of the overall 2,400 spots.
- Those parking without a permit could:
- Use the reserved spots for free after 8 a.m. on weekdays and all day on weekends, or
- Continue parking in one of the 2,200 non-reserved spots on a first-come, first-served basis as they are today.
- In order to hold a permit, the transit rider must have 12 verified transit trips per month on a bus, vanpool, or Sounder train. For HOV, at least two passengers in the group must meet this threshold.
- Proposed pricing:
- High Occupancy Vehicle: Free for 2+ riders arriving together; riders must have ORCA card
- Single Occupancy Vehicle (SOV): $80/month; must have ORCA card
- ORCA LIFT SOV: $27/month with ORCA LIFT card
- Pierce Transit Chief Executive Officer would be authorized to manage demand and waitlists by modifying percentage of reserved stalls and/or adjusting rates as needed.
The public is invited to appear at the hearing to offer testimony. Written comments should be submitted to Sandy Johnson, Senior Planner, 3701 96th Street SW, Lakewood, WA 98499, no later than Thursday, March 28, 2019.
More information on the optional permit parking plan proposal is available at the project website at www.piercetransit.org/permit-parking.
Registered SHUTTLE customers may obtain specialized transportation to and from the hearing by calling SHUTTLE at (253) 581-8000, Option 2, from one to five days in advance of the hearing. An interpreter for the hearing impaired will be provided upon request with a minimum notice of five days.