Message from Pierce Transit CEO Mike Griffus on Intermittent Service Delays
First, let me start with an apology.
If you’ve been riding our buses lately you may have experienced missed trips or delayed service. If so, we apologize.
Pierce Transit, like many other service-oriented businesses across our state and nation, is experiencing a workforce shortage – in our case, it’s a shortage of bus drivers. This has impacted travel times on some of our routes.
We understand you rely on our services to get to important destinations such as work, school, medical appointments and shopping. Please do not blame the service delay on your bus driver, who is working hard to cover extra shifts to get you where you need to go. We are working hard to remedy this situation, and I wanted to update you on those efforts as well as new tools we have implemented to help you track when the next bus will arrive.
Pierce Transit has 510 bus driver positions; 54 of those are vacant and a dozen more drivers are still in training. That’s a 13 percent gap in this workforce. To change that, Pierce Transit is in the midst of the agency’s largest-ever bus driver recruitment campaign, tapping new channels and sources to recruit new members to our team. If you know someone looking for a rewarding, family-wage job with excellent benefits and training, please encourage them to visit PierceTransit.org/careers to apply.
We have also implemented many new tools to help riders plan trips and track vehicles in real-time so they can see when the next bus is coming:
- Transit app, Pierce Transit’s official app, shows you in real-time buses along your route(s).
- Call or text your bus stop number to 253.533.7084 to get information about when the next bus will arrive.
- Get text alerts by route when trips are missed or there is a detour; visit PierceTransit.org/StayConnected to subscribe.
- You’ll find Pierce Transit’s new Trip Planner at PierceTransit.org; select the Next Departures tab, then “Routes” on the right. Click on your stop to see when the next bus will arrive.
- Look for monitors at major boarding hubs that indicate how many minutes until the next bus for each route arrives.
- Call Pierce Transit Customer Service at 253.581.8000 (option 1, 1) for help planning a trip and/or finding out when the next bus will arrive at your stop.
Pierce Transit remains committed to providing you with reliable and safe public transportation. Thank you for your patience as we work to meet this challenge and bring our driver workforce back to full staffing levels. Thanks for reading, and for riding.
Pierce Transit CEO