Starting Sunday, June 14, Pierce Transit will reinstate fares for buses and SHUTTLE paratransit vehicles. Fares will be regular rates; visit the agency’s fares page
for information. Pierce Transit had discontinued fares for several weeks during the height of the COVID-19 outbreak and asked customers to enter buses via the back doors to create social distancing between operators and customers.
Pierce Transit has now installed clear health shields around the bus operator area; the agency has also been marking off some seats and allowing only a limited number of passengers on a bus. Follow-behind buses are running on busy routes whenever possible to pick up extra passengers. To encourage social distancing, the agency is encouraging passengers to now board from the front doors to pay their fare, but disembark via the rear doors when possible to keep passengers apart from each other and the operator. Passengers are strongly encouraged to wear a facial covering whenever they are on the bus or in common areas such as transit centers. Pierce Transit is providing extra disinfectings to buses regularly throughout the day when they stop at transit centers.
For those experiencing financial hardship who are essential workers or need to take an essential trip, Pierce Transit works with many social service organizations around the area to provide reduced-price tickets that they make available for free to clients. The agency is also providing a number of free tickets to those organizations, funded by a grant. Pierce Transit is committed to ensuring that essential workers and those who need to make an essential trip, and cannot afford a bus pass, will be able to reach their destination.
Customers have several options for purchasing fares and getting route information:
- The Bus Shop at Tacoma Dome Station is open weekdays with limited hours, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Only two customers may be in the lobby area at a time for social distancing, and facial coverings are highly recommended.
- Customers can reach Pierce Transit Customer Services by phone at 253.581.8000, Option 1, 1, weekdays from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Customers may purchase Pierce Transit tickets and passes through the Hopthru app.
- ORCA customers can call 888.889.6368, weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. to get assistance.
- ORCA retail outlets are open; visit PierceTransit.org/orca-outlets for Pierce Co. locations, hours, forms of payment.
- ORCA Ticket Vending Machines are available; visit orcacard.com for locations.
- Bus locator assistance:
- Text 253.533.7084, enter bus stop number found on pole
- Use a bus locator app, such as Transit or One Bus Away