Sign up to receive notification when Board and Committee agendas are posted.
Pierce Transit Hosts Public Hearing on Free Youth Transit Pass
July 6, 2022
The Washington State Legislature recently passed the Move Ahead Washington transportation package. Under the legislation, transit agencies are awarded new Transit Support Grants, provided they meet certain conditions, including adopting a policy that passengers 18 years of age and younger may ride free of charge on any mode operated by the transit agency.
In July 2022, the Pierce Transit Board of Commissioners will consider an action that makes fares free for youth passengers ages 18 and under on all Pierce Transit modes. The agency’s goal is to implement this change by September 1, 2022, in conjunction with the start of the school year.
The public input period for this proposed youth fare policy change closes July 11. Public input will be provided to the Pierce Transit Board of Commissioners in a summary report at its July 11 Board meeting. The Board of Commissioners’ meeting materials are available at PierceTransit.org/Board-Meetings.
Those who want to provide public input on this proposed policy change may do so in one of three ways:
- Email PTCustomer@piercetransit.org
- Call Pierce Transit Customer Service between 6:30 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. Monday – Friday: 253-581-8000 (press option 1 for Customer Service and option 1 again); TTY Relay 711
- Attend the public hearing: July 11 at 4 p.m.
- Comments can be given either in person at Pierce Transit headquarters, 3720 96th Street SW, Lakewood, or virtually through Zoom
- For more information on the public hearing, call or email Principal Planner Lindsey Sehmel at firstname.lastname@example.org or 253.581.8079.