Sign up to receive notification when Board and Committee agendas are posted.
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING PROPOSED SERVICE CHANGES EFFECTIVE SEPTEMBER 29, 2013
The Pierce Transit Board of Commissioners will hold a public hearing on Monday, May 13, 2013. The meeting will begin at 4:00 pm and will be held in the Rainier Room of the Pierce Transit Training Center, located at 3720 96th St. SW, Lakewood, WA. The purpose of the hearing is to allow public comment on proposed changes to Pierce Transit bus service effective September 29, 2013.
Nine public meetings have been held at various locations throughout the Pierce Transit service area including: City of Tacoma (2 meetings), City of Puyallup (2 meetings), NE Tacoma, City of University Place, City of Lakewood, City of Gig Harbor and Parkland/Spanaway in Unincorporated Pierce County.
Pierce Transit is responding to the continuing deficit in sales tax collections that began in December 2007. Sales tax collections represent 70% of our revenue. To address our current budget shortfall, we propose the service reductions as described below. These changes include modifications in all parts of Pierce Transit’s network. These modifications are intended to respond to the need to eliminate an additional 28% of the services Pierce Transit currently operates.
The specific details of each route alternative are described at the www.piercetransit.org website and are generally described below.
- Reduced AM/PM trips on fixed route and SHUTTLE on all days of the week.
- Buses come less often on all days of the week.
- Hours of service (span) are reduced on all days of the week.
- The numbers of routes operating on the weekend are drastically reduced.
- SHUTTLE paratransit service for people with disabilities; As bus service is reduced or eliminated, SHUTTLE service will also be reduced or eliminated.
- The elimination of Route 62- Northeast Tacoma.
- There will be no fixed route or SHUTTLE service on the days observed for the following six holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day (July 4th), Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day.
All routes will be impacted with reduced service hours and reduced number of trips that operate. Information is available through Pierce Transit’s website www.piercetransit.org website, or by calling Pierce Transit at 253.581.8000, or visiting our offices located at 3701 96th St. SW, Lakewood, WA 98496. These changes in service, if adopted, will be implemented by September 29, 2013.
If you are unable to attend the public hearing, you may submit written comments to:
Pierce Transit Operations Planning Division
ATTN: Mr. Kelly Hayden, Manager, Service Planning
PO Box 99070
Lakewood, WA 98496-0070
All written comments must be received by May 3, 2013.
Specialized transportation for registered SHUTTLE users to and from the hearing can be obtained by calling SHUTTLE at 253.581.8100 from one to five days in advance of the hearing. An interpreter for the hearing impaired will be provided upon request with a minimum notice of two weeks.
Clerk of the Board
Posted in the Tacoma Daily Index and the Tacoma News Tribune on April 23 and May 8, 2013